Why do we get messy at Adventure Babies?
I often get asked about what the benefits of Messy Play are for Babies… Messy play is always an important part of our Adventure Babies sensory storytelling classes but for many new parents it can seem daunting. Why do we place such an importance on messy play for babies? Why would we want to do something for such a short time that requires so much cleaning up afterwards?
- Develops their brains further. So much information is given to their sensory system during these types of activities it really gets the brain working building up many different connections.
- Helps their brains get used to experiencing different sensations which is great because that will lead to your baby being happy eating a variety of textures.
- Enhances fine motor skills by giving the small muscles in the hands, arms and fingers opportunities to practice new actions. Messy play gives great cause and effect and a chance to practice their hand to eye coordination.
- Fosters curiosity, imagination and exploration. There is no right or wrong with exploring messy play giving babies and children a sense of freedom and experimentation.
- Improves communication. By describing what you are doing and feeling to your baby this will help them to build their vocabulary be able to communicate their thoughts and feelings better.
There really are so many benefits of messy play to babies and toddlers in their all round development it really is worth taking the plunge and getting involved. It is such a great activity to do at home either in the bath or garden. Even better come along to our Adventure Babies classes and we will do the cleaning up for you! Have a look at the classes nearest you here or check out some of our favourite messy pictures here